Sunday 12 January 2014

Summer reading... part 1!

Oh my word, I have barely even thought about blogging over the summer... but I have been reading up a storm!  So now I want to put finger to keyboard and write a bit about each book so that I can ingrain them into my wee skull...

I have thoroughly enjoyed all the books I have read so far... although some are 'better' than others (in my humble opinion...)

Here is a starter for ten...

Demon Dentist by David Walliams

David Walliams continues to write entertaining, funny, thought-provoking fiction.  He manages to combine a crazy plot, full of wacky characters with issues and themes that make the reader think.
Alfie is a normal boy... with rotten teeth. When Miss Root, a rather mysterious dentist, appears in the town, Alfie is singled out for special attention.  But as well as being mysterious, Miss Root is rather unpleasant... and Alfie has to extricate himself from her awful grip.   If you weren't a bit afraid of dentists before reading this, you will be afterwards!!!

The Famous Adventures of Jack by Bernie Doherty

I love the premise of this book... that there are a strangely large number of Jacks who feature in fairy tales and nursery rhymes.  This is a series of loosely linked, fairy-tale style stories about various Jacks - great to read alone or read aloud.

Emily Feather and the Enchanted Door by Holly Webb

Emily has sensed that she is a little different to the rest of her family.  They seem to know more than her and they also seem to be able to do strange things that she can't.  When Emily finds out the reason for this, she is devastated.  How will she ever recover?

Wendel's Workshop by Chris Riddell

This is a lovely early reader by one of my favourite authors, Chris Riddell.  It is always great to find good quality books for emergent readers as so many of them are very simplistic.  Wendel is a very untidy inventor - so he invents himself a tidying robot.  But it all backfires, when the robot tries to tidy up more than he is meant to!

Come Back Gizmo by Paul Jennings

I think I should have read The Gizmo first, because this book was a bit confusing!  However, I could imagine the appeal for those readers who like something a bit wild and wacky!

Flora and Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo

Holy Bagumba... this may well be my Pick of the Summer.  Kate DiCamillo is a genius of a writer. She has a lovely style and easy sense of humour, which I find really appealing.  Flora was busily minding her own business when she witnessed a squirrel being vacuumed up by a super-powered vacuum cleaner.  The squirrel emerges from its experience with super powers and Flora finds herself wanting to show off her amazing new friend... The prose is interspersed with Hugo Cabret style cartoon sequences, which only adds to the appeal of the book.  Love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment