Tuesday 19 November 2013

Penny the Prolific Pooing Cow by Bruce Potter


Potter, B. (2013). Penny the Prolific Pooing Cow. Tuakau. Draconis Ltd.

[humour]

Every child loves a good poo story… and this one delivers in spades! 

Penny is a cow with a lot to offer in the poo department, but it causes her to be shunned by all who know her… until, that is, someone comes up with the bright idea of using her ‘offerings’ to make a spot of money!

The story is actually a song, sung by Bruce Potter and included on a CD with the book.  The tune is annoyingly catchy and will have adults and children alike humming it for hours.

The illustrations are gorgeous… Penny is one beautiful cow.  I particularly love the illustration of her pirouetting and pooing simultaneously.

This is a self-published book and so may not have quite the same polished finish as a book published by a recognised publisher.  But, it is well enough done to be engaging to the target audience (I know… I have introduced it to a number of 5 year olds!)  The song is repetitive, it rhymes and it has a catchy chorus; the theme is perennially entertaining to youngsters; and the pictures are bright and funny and have fabulous 'ewwwww' factor!

I also love this book for a very personal reason – I am Penny as I practically forced Bruce into writing the book after meeting him at a talk given by him and Craig Smith about their joint venture on Kaha the Kea. In the background of one of the pictures is a cow, pooing majestically… and Bruce made a throwaway comment about perhaps writing about this prolifically pooing cow one day.  My mouth spoke before my brain engaged and I gave him permission to use my name!!

No comments:

Post a Comment